Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Alien Dichotomy

Let me put down some of my ideas and thoughts about my project in case some of you might be wondering just where I am heading with this.

We have recently been through some truly perspective changing times in Singapore, with the Presidential Election just over on can't help but be reminded about how ugly we Singaporeans can get when given the freedom of speech. It is just me that feels like its a mini General Election all over again? Why are the issues repeated? Why are the screamers screaming again? And all dirty linen swept under the carpet as soon as the GE was over so quickly pulled out for display?

Why do I say so? With the proliferation of new media engulfing our lives I can't help but realize that the "OB" markers once silently set in place have been removed amidst the blatant adoption and embrace of social networking and communicating tools. Not one day can go by without us hearing someone swearing, dissing, disrespecting and in some cases outright aggression towards our leaders and leaders to be.

One of the many issues that have been rehashed over and over again whenever one feels slightly insecure is the issue of foreign "invasion" and foreign talent.

How does this all affect my project and artwork? I have decided to break down this issue and look at it from one of the many perspectives and avenues that many Singaporeans have brought to light. Public transport. And in my particular case the use of the MRT. One mode of public transport that has seen its fair share of ups and down in the light of the issue that I am dealing with.

So how then does the "passenger" perceive and understand all that is going on around him? Amidst the hustle and bustle of commuting, along with the emotional and psychical strain one experiences while taking this journey to wherever he may desire to go.

This dichotomy of "us vs them" and "them vs us" will always be an ensuing power struggle. Who then needs who and who is the one that has the final say? This is what I am to explore in my artwork.


P.S I shall be the train stations and take the train every now and then to allow myself to take pictures, pen down more thoughts and do various sketches. All of which should appear on the blog very soon as I get back into the flow of updates here.

No comments:

Post a Comment